Why Did The NYPD Spy On Me For Years? - asks a New Yorker

Mohammad Elshinawy lectures regularly on Islam and contributes to MuslimMatters.org. He is one of the plaintiffs in Raza v. City of New York.. His article, "I'm A Muslim, Not A Terrorist. So Why Did The NYPD Spy On Me For Years?" has recently appeared in the Washington Post. 

He writes, "A couple of weeks after I began lecturing on Islam at New York City mosques, something strange happened. Acquaintances and congregants told me they'd been approached by law enforcement officers, who asked about me and my talks. Soon after, I began to notice suspicious people in the audiences. One gentleman stood out - he was the most frequent attendee, but he regularly fell asleep while I spoke.

It was 2003. I was a student at Brooklyn College, studying English literature. I'd grown up in New York and loved the city. But I'd also seen the way Muslims were discriminated against, particularly after Sept. 11, 2001. In the year after the attacks, hate crimes spiked tenfold."

To read his story, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining the Biden Doctrine

George Soros at the Davos Forum